What to Do If You Have Been Injured in a Car Accident
Posted By: 
Thursday, October 27, 2016

What to Do If You Have Been Injured in a Car Accident


Unfortunately, car accidents are very common, they occur about every 60 seconds in our country. While many of them are little more than fender-benders, others result in severe injuries or even death of one or more parties. If you have been injured in a car accident, the first thing you, or someone at the scene, should do is call 911 for immediate medical attention. Then take care to protect your rights by considering these important points.


Document the Accident


If possible, you or someone on the scene should document as many aspects of the accident as possible. Take pictures of all vehicles involved, physical damage to the cars or other property, street signs, lights, and layout, as well as any physical injuries that can be documented at the time. Also, remember to record any physical injuries that appear at a later time such as bruising that is not immediately obvious at the time of the accident.


Be sure to get a police report and contact information from witnesses before leaving the scene, or ask someone to do so on your behalf. Make a note of any unusual behavior on the part of the other driver (things like appearing intoxicated or obvious distraction prior to the accident) and anything about the scene that stands out such as a blind corner or confusing signage.


Do not Say that You are Fine—Even if You Think You Are


If you speak to the other driver or the police about the accident, do not comment on your physical well-being. Some injuries are not immediately apparent, particularly if you are experiencing symptoms related to shock. You may not discover your true injuries until hours, days, or weeks later after you have been seen by professional medical staff and had important health screenings that can reveal injuries that you are not able to feel at the time.


Of particular concern are head injuries resulting from a car accident. It can be very difficult to know that you have suffered a head injury before being examined by medical personnel.  Even a “simple” concussion can result in long term difficulties for which you may deserve compensation.

Instead of commenting on your physical health after a car accident, it is best to simply request a medical exam right away and ask to be transported to the ER.


Even if you do not go to the emergency room immediately from the accident scene, visit your family doctor soon after the accident in order to get a medical exam on the record. Tell your doctor about every ailment you have experienced since the accident, including things like needing to sleep for long periods or at unusual times (which can indicate brain injury). If an injury is not documented in your doctor’s notes, it may be difficult, if not impossible to later make a claim on your behalf if you decide to seek damages.


Keep a record of any medical treatment you receive as a result of the accident and keep a personal journal detailing any loss of normal brain or physical function.


Call an Attorney


If you have been injured in a car accident you may be entitled to damages including compensation for lost wages, medical bills, and pain and suffering. Your chances of receiving fair compensation for your injuries are much better when you work with an experienced professional.


Contact our office with any legal questions you have about personal injury. Your initial consultation is always free.

Subscribe To Our Blog

Blog Categories

  • General
    • 07/16/2018 - 5 Reasons Why Personal Injury
    • 06/18/2018 - 6 Reasons Why Hiring a Child C
    • 05/29/2017 - What Can Cause Me to Lose Cust
    • 05/12/2017 - Divorce and Child Custody
    • 12/27/2016 - Are Social Security, SSD benef
    • 11/07/2016 - Plan A Sober Ride This Holiday
    • 10/27/2016 - What to Do If You Have Been In
    • 10/10/2016 - This Halloween, Drive Sober or
    • 09/27/2016 - Why You Need a Will
    • 07/14/2016 - Hot Cars Kill Kids
    • 06/30/2016 - The Fourth of July is for Cele
    • 05/25/2016 - Expanded Takata Air Bag Recall

Tag Cloud
Social Security Disability      Divorce
Workers Compensation       Family Law  
Personal Injury                     Real Estate
  223 Main Street          24 West Third Street
Florence, KY 41022     Maysville, KY 41056
859-371-2302             606-564-0037

 American Bar Association   Northern Kentucky Bar Association   Mason County Bar Association    Kentucky Justice Association    NOSSCR (National Organization of Social Security Claimant’s Representatives)

Copyright © 2024. Knoebel & Vice, PLLC. All Rights Reserved

The following is required by the Kentucky Bar Association: THIS IS AN ADVERTISEMENT. This website is designed to obtain general information only and should not be taken as the formation of the attorney/client relationship. Additionally, the information contained in this website is not, nor intended to be legal advice. Please contact an attorney for legal advice regarding your specific situation.